The Patrick D Murphy Co., Inc. Architects started as a Sole Proprietorship in 1978 when Patrick began designing single-family residences for individuals, couples and families. The small company grew through word-of-mouth. Also, the startup company attracted lots of attention through an adult education course that Patrick taught at Bellarmine University for about 10 years.
Upon earning an Architect’s license in 1980, the size of projects began to grow. The business was Incorporated in 1982. Daniel E. Wiseman joined the growing operation a few years later and became Vice President.
Over the years, the company family has grown. We have added people to positions for marketing, sales, administration and production.
Patrick’s daughter, Monica Murphy MBA and Registered Roof Observer is the most recent addition as of a few years ago in 2011.
Over the many successful years of practice, our team has designed a wide diversity of architectural projects. The following is a brief list of major building type categories and a sample of jobs to give a flavor of our professional practice:
- E-Town Cardiology Associates
- Wolf Medical Suites
Religious and Educational Facilities:
- Bellarmine University Architectural Programming
- Trinity High School Renovations/Additions
Industrial and Public Facilities:
- Jefferson City Hall Addition
- Cedar Lake Lodge Group Home
Industrial and Commercial Facilities:
- F. Goodrich Clean Room Building
- Captains Quarters Restaurant Renovation
Residential and Multifamily:
- Johns Garden Multifamily
- Reser Court, Apartments
Interior Renovations and Makeovers:
- Wicks-N-Sticks Store at Oxmoor Mall
- Builders Exchange Interior Renovation
We add to our passion with Roof Consulting: The story
Running parallel with the above history of company development is the unique addition of roof consulting.
Back in 1982 when the Patrick D. Murphy Architects was starting to gain traction, Patrick also worked on a daily basis for his father and uncle at the Ray Nolan Roofing Co., Inc.
One day while Patrick was working on his drawing board at the roofing office, his uncle, Ray Nolan, received a phone call from K-Mart Corporation. The executive from K-Mart inquired if Ray knew of a local architect that could analyze 6 of their store locations and write up a report on the condition of each roof. Ray put the executive on hold and approached the drawing board. He said “Patrick…Pick up line 1. If you can’t sell this one, then you will never be able to make it in this business.”
The conversation led to a contract and the contract lead to successful reports. The phone call and initial project became the departure point for our very successful roof consulting division at the Patrick D. Murphy Architects starting over 30 years ago back in 1982.
From this modest beginning, we have produced over 5,000 roof audits, thousands and thousands of roof renovations, roof recoveries and roof replacements. In all, our company has overseen $400,000,000 and growing of successful roof consulting construction.
Some of the major accounts that we have served in the past 30+ years are as follows:
- University Facility Club
- Speed Scientific Engineering Building
- School of Law
- State Capital for the Commonwealth
- Kentucky State Police Forensics Facility
- Kentucky Library and Archives Building
- Kentucky International Convention Center
- Kentucky Exposition Center
- SW Hospital
- Suburban Hospital
- Belknap Building #1 and #2 (Presbyterian World HQ)
- Belknap Building #12
- University of Louisville Medical Hospital
- Pump Station #2 and #3
- Screen Tower
- Pump Station, Boiler, Annex and Bath House
- Zorn Ave., Pump station
- Crescent Hill treatment plant
Reynolds Metals Corporation:
- Main Plant (26th Street) Roof Audit
- Camp Ground Road
- Luther Luckett Correctional Complex
- Northpoint Training Center
- Green River Correctional Complex
- Kentucky State Reformatory
- Eddieville Prison System
- Roedere Correctional Complex
- Bowman Field Administration Building
- Bowman Field Central American Airways
- International Airport Airside Building
- International Airport Exterior Envelope Repairs
- International Airport Landside Terminal
- SURF Ruilding – Metal Roof
Behringer Harvard REIT:
- Flash Cube Building
- Roof Audit and Reports
- Forum 2
- Forum 3
Our team takes great pride in the work that we have successfully completed for over 30 years of roof consulting.
The work must be completed perfectly or there will be leakage. Our staff has completed every project on time and on budget.
Therefore we coined the byline of “Pride in Perfect Performance”. Going forward, our growing family of roof consultants continues to guard our performance with the upmost care.
We are continuing to grow and provide excellent services to many satisfied customers. All of our staff has a great deal of passion for our pride in perfect performance.